Every now and then Quickmap distributes updates to the Quickmap data. These can be sent to you on a CD (Disk 2) or downloaded from the internet via FTP.
Updating From Disk
For Microsoft Windows systems:
- To update Quickmap data from a CD you must first determine whether you are using a server-client installation or a stand-alone installation of Quickmap.
- If you are using a server-client installation, log onto the server hosting the Quickmap data using an administrator account to ensure you have the privileges required to complete the install. If you are using a stand-alone installation, log onto the PC using an administrator account.
- Close all open programs, including any anti-virus software, so that only Windows is running.
- Close Quickmap.
❗ If you are updating a server, then make sure no one is running QuickMap in the office from a remote PC.
- Insert the update disk (labelled Disk 2) into the computer you have just logged onto.
- Run setup.exe from the CD and follow the wizard to complete the install.
- If you have more than one Disk 2, repeat steps 5 & 6 for each CD.
For Apple Mac systems:
- Insert the CD into the Mac.
- Browse to the Applications/Quickmap folder, right mouse click on the Quickmap icon and choose Show Package Contents.
- Double click on the wineskins icon and choose Install Software.
- Click the Choose Setup Executable, browse to the Quickmap CD-ROM and double click on setup.exe.
- Follow the Quickmap setup wizard install instructions.
Alternatively, view the video below for a demonstration on how to update Quickmap data on a Mac:
Updating From FTP Download
The following instructions are applicable for Windows and Mac systems:
- Download the zip file(s) from the Quickmap server by pasting each URL provided in the update email into your web browser.
- Determine the location of where the zip file should be unpacked by running Quickmap. This is displayed as the Data folder when you select Help -> About from the menu within Quickmap.
- Close Quickmap.
❗ If you are updating a server, then make sure no one is running QuickMap in the office from a remote PC.You can do this by copying qmap.lck (which is attached to the Quickmap data folder) to force network users out of Quickmap before unzipping the download
- Copy the Legal folder (which can be found in the Data folder specified in the help menu in step 2) to save as a backup of your current version prior to applying the update, just in case there is a problem. It is not necessary to backup the entire Data folder, because only the Legal folder will be updated, unless you are applying a surveyview update. For surveyview updates, make a copy of the Survey folder.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the Data folder specified in the Help menu in step 2.
- Unzip the file(s) into the Quickmap Data folder (Right click the folder and click Extract All…).
❗ Note: Make sure it is unzipped to the Data folder, and not some other location. If your unzip program has added anything to the directory path to unzip to (such as the file name), then remove this before unzipping.
- Remove qmap.lck from the Quickmap data folder, if this file was used to force network users out of Quickmap ( more )